Sunday, August 23, 2009

Armistice Review


I haven't done an album review on here so I figured that Mute Math's new album would be a good place to start. I've read several reviews and talked to several people about this album. I love talking to people about music because I like trying to understand their opinions and it gives me a broader view about it.

After reading Indie Vision music's review ( here ), I was a little nervous about about how I'd feel about the album. But as I listened to it and talked to different people about it, I came to a conclusion.

For one thing, I think that because of all the hype that surrounded this album, there was bound to be a 'let down'. With an album as great as their self-titled, there was extremely high expectations. As was mine. It wasn't the same as their first album. There is a lot more variety on Armistice. That leads me to my other conclusion: Mute Math is an extremely experimental group. That is why we (me) love them. It's weaved into the fiber of the band. I believe that is their strongest trait about them ( and the drummer being a pimp ). People often don't like it when bands push the envelope.

I think there are a few songs that show a glimpse back to the 'old Mute Math'. 'Nerve' and 'Spotlight' show this through the tight drums and more traditional guitar. I also think that 'Backfire' gets you dancin' like some previous songs.

I also want to point out 'Electrify'. I like the upbeat-ness which shows off the more traditional MM, but the way that he sings in the verses almost gives off an R&B feel. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, which is true either way. With the contrast to that song, 'Pin and Needles' has a jazz feel to it. This song slows down the album but there is a lot of depth to the lyrics.
Sometimes I get tired of pins and needles,
Facades are a fire on the skin.
And I'm growing fond of broken people,
As I see that I am one of them.

That is what I love about this album; one song is a dance song and then next slows it down. I read the complaint that the songs are too slow and just tires the listener. I'd agree with that until I took some time to listen to the songs, individually. There is a lot of meaning in the lyrics that can be overlooked.

This review makes me sound like a fan-boy for Mute Math but I just really enjoy what they are doing and how they've progressed. This band will never be mainstream because of what I stated before: they are too experimental for a lot of people. Not for me though. That is why I love music. It gives bands the freedom to try something new and be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment