Thursday, August 20, 2009

House of Heroes and Abandon Kansas Show

I went to Nashville for the day with my friend Keillor and Adam. We met up with Keillor's sister Kyrie for the show. The show was at the Exit/In venue. It was a simple but well-thought out venue.

The first band was The Compromise. I thought they sucked. No depth to their lyrics. Just the same ol' poppy stuff... So we'll move on.

Next was Abandon Kansas. They just recently signed to Gotee Records, which was started By TobyMac. This band is great. If you haven't checked them out yet, you really need to. They have a new record coming out September 8.

They played a few songs off their previous album including 'The Earth Falls Asleep' and 'Minutes'. They also played their single off their unreleased album, 'I Wonder if it's Me'. They kinda have an As Cities Burn kinda feel maybe with a little Manchester Orchestra. They played an amazing show. They sounded just as good live as they did on their CD. They made a fan out of me. Even though the lead singer had this mullet kinda hair style, I love it and I love him. I bet he would be a really cool guy to talk to. My only other complaint about them was their guitar player. He - literally - thought he was Michael Jackson. He had the curly black hair, the black hat and the dance moves. I think he had some good moves but it got a little carried away.

Next was the band Lorien. Never heard them before that night. They played a pretty good show. I think that Abandon Kansas should have played after them, but that's just me. I liked that they had a girl singer, it added depth to their sound. You can get their album for free here:


So check 'em out. They're worth it.

Well between Lorien and House of Heroes, I was told that TobyMac and Matt Thiessen (of Relient K) were there. I figured that TobyMac came to see his newly signed band play. It also made sense since Relient K is on Gotee Records. Thiessen had the crazy blonde hair still and TobyMac was in this suit with some sweet kicks. I can't hate on him 'cause i think he does a lot of great stuff, musically.

After the excitement went down from the 'celebrities' (gage me), House of Heroes came on. By this time, the whole front was packed with kids. That wasn't the case with all the other bands. They rocked the house. I've listened to them for a while. I enjoyed them that much more since i knew all the songs. You could tell they've been doing this for a while and they were very comfortable and confident on stage. They played all their hits - 'If', 'In the Valley of The Dying Sun', 'Code Name_Raven', 'Baby's a Red', 'Serial Sleepers', and 'Bucket for Bullet Wounds'. Everyone was into them and it was a great show.

Here's some House of Heroes songs:

After the show, I bought myself a HoH shirt and patted TobyMac on the back as we were leaving.

Great day in Nashville.

Oh yeah, we saw Keith Urban earlier in the day. Random.
Evidence:


IIIIIIIIIIIII know. Keith Urban. OMG. Cool Car. Lame guy. That is all.

2 comments:

  1. Keith Urban is great, he's a ridiculous guitar player/song writer, you need to check him out!

    anyway, cool review, i'll have to grab that Lorien album and check out Abandon Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith Urban is freaking hot. I mean... haha.

    ReplyDelete